Do you want this beautiful picnic table? Make it yourself in a few hours and save some money for its acquisition. You will need basic tools and about 3-4 hours of time. In this post we will show you, how to build a picnic table. We have prepared also a free picnic table plans for you. You can download it in a link below.
Spring is here and the barbecue season is just beginning. We are diligently preparing for the future construction of the house, the tool hut is already standing, the grill is also ready, but we still do not have enough space for us and our friends. So I decided to make a garden picnic table with benches on my own. For those who want to make it themselves, this guide is. If you buy wood for a good price, you can easily halve the cost of such a table.
DIY picnic table – With free plans (drawing) and material list (metric)
What you will need
- KVH Prism 40x100x4000 – 9pcs
- Wood screw 6 × 100 mm – 6pcs
- Wood screw 5 × 70 mm – 44pcs
- Screw with nut and washers 90x10mm – 16pcs
- Sandpaper or nail file
How to make a garden picnic table with benches by yourself:
1. Download the drawing (at the end of this article).
2. Cut the individual parts from the wood profiles according to the cut list (drawing).
3. Finish the individual boards – edges, bevels – according to the drawing, section dimensions of the boards.
4. Using a file or sandpaper, grind all sharp corners of the boards and burrs and chips from cutting.
5. Assemble the tool first (according to the drawing). This product will serve you for easier assembly of the sides of the table. Do not throw away the product after use, it may be suitable for stacking other tables until your friends find out how easy and cheap it is :).
6. Assemble the legs of the table with the sides using the tool. Check the angle throughout the table assembly.
7. You have finished both sides, now place the first board of the table correctly on them according to the drawing. Ideally, if you have clamps, clamp it and then screw it on.
8. Continue in the same way for the opposite side of the table.
9. Screw on one side board of both benches in the same way.
10. Now place the other boards on the table and screw them on.
11. Screw on the benches in the same way.
12. Turn the table upside down and screw on the crossbars and support boards.
13. The table is ready. Inspect the entire area and remove excess chips and burrs.
14. We recommend treating with glaze or oil immediately.
Difficulty and duration:
The bench is easy to assemble if you have the above tools. Can be assembled in one person.
This table took me about 3 hours + another hour of painting.
Drawing of the garden picnic table:
Download the free plans for DIY picnic table
Like this post? Buy us a coffee 🙂